Resources and Facilities
Information Technology Centres
The school has extensive networked facilities which include PCs equipped with the latest software, laser printers, scanners, digital cameras and video conferencing.
In addition to the seven fully equipped ICT rooms, all curriculum areas and the library are networked and have their own ICT facilities. Interactive white boards and data projectors are used by staff and students for presentations.
The school has a full-time media development manager, a web administrator, five technicians and, as part of DASP, an e-learning manager. All teachers are provided with laptop computers, and students can borrow laptops using the school’s wireless network system.
Students use fast broadband for access to the Internet from all areas to complement their studies. The school has its own School Portal, available via this website to ensure continuity for students while working at home.
On this website an the intranet we provide:
- Information about all courses offered in the school
- A variety of learning resources to help students study and revise
- Information to help students with course work
- Useful linked sites for specific subjects to broaden subject knowledge including access to newspapers around the world for up-to-date information
- Information about staff vacancies and professional development within the school
- ‘What’s On at School’ – the school calendar is updated weekly to give the latest information about events taking place
- Links to the DASP website and to other schools in the Dorchester area
All students in Years 9 to 11 study ICT and a full range of ICT courses at GCSE, AVCE, and AS/A2 are offered. The Diploma in Digital Applications (DIDA) course is also available.
The Centre is a large, well equipped and quiet place for private study. It offers:
- Up-to-date texts for all courses and a range of reference works
- Newspapers and magazines
- TV and video viewing stations
- A full careers library
- Digital video centre with editing suite
- Loan service for cameras and other equipment
More information regarding the Resources Centre is available on our LRC Page.
Language and Communications Centre
This was opened by Minette Walters, writer, in October 2004 with new purpose-built classrooms, seminar rooms, and a large atrium equipped with up-to-date ICT equipment to make advances in language and communications teaching fully available to students.
These include: the theatre, performing arts studios, sports centre, floodlit ‘astro-turf’ pitch, sports fields, recording studio, and electronics laboratory. Facilities are accessible for anyone with limited mobility using ramps or lifts.